Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Everyday misery in Venezuela


“There is no food in Venezuela”, my Venezuelan friend wrote. “Maybe this is the last time you hear from me”, he continued. I was shocked with these two sentences. Like him, millions of people are facing inhuman conditions in Venezuela right now. It was not easy for him to reach me. He had to write a letter, give it to his brother who was visiting and his brother sent it to me from abroad. International phone calls are blocked. All the letters they send are opened, as well as everything they receive is opened and checked. There is no privacy, no liberty of expression and “big brother” is watching 24/7. Even their internet access is limited and controlled. And the military in the streets is ready to use violence and to make detentions. More…

No comments:

Post a Comment